Meet Dr. Harshiv J. Vyas
Best Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon in Chicago
Dr. Harshiv J. Vyas is a board-certified and fellowship-trained Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon.
Dr. Vyas completed his dental schooling and a residency in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery in India before moving to Boston. He then completed another residency in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery from Tufts University School of Dental Medicine, Boston MA. Following this, he was awarded the Pediatric Craniomaxillofacial Surgery fellowship from University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA. This fellowship is one of two AAOMS accredited Pediatric Craniomaxillofacial Surgery fellowships in the country.
As a Diplomate of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery as well as the National Dental Board of Anesthesiology, Dr Vyas is committed to offering high quality oral and maxillofacial surgery and anesthesia services to his patients in a safe and contemporary manner. He maintains active Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS), Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS), Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) and Basic Life Support (BLS) certifications.
Dr. Vyas brings his extensive experience in the specialty to the practice. His fields of clinical interest are dento-alveolar surgery, implantology, ambulatory anesthesia, facial esthetic surgery, pediatric and adult craniomaxillofacial surgery including reconstruction, orthognathic surgery, trauma and pathology. His work has been published in several national and international journals and textbooks. During his dental school, he was awarded the prestigious Pierre Fauchard Academy Certificate of Merit for outstanding academic achievements in dentistry.
As an attending surgeon at one of the busiest Level I trauma centers in Illinois (Advocate Christ Medical Center, Oak Lawn, IL), he provides call coverage for facial trauma and oral and maxillofacial surgery. He also holds hospital privileges at Advocate Good Samaritan Medical Center in Downers Grove and AMITA Health Adventist Medical Center in Hinsdale.
Dr Vyas volunteers his time and surgical services to helping the Chicagoland community and works with Disability Dental Services to provide exceptional care for patients with special needs. He has also participated in medical missions abroad performing cleft lip and palate surgery for the underprivileged.
Dr Vyas is currently serving as an Executive Council Member of the Illinois Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (ISOMS) and was an Executive Committee Member of the Resident Organization of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (ROAAOMS) during his residency.
In his free time, Dr. Vyas enjoys exploring the vibrant live music scene in Chicago, traveling and spending time with family.
Ready To Restore Your Smile? Call Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery of Chicago
Call us Orland Park Phone Number 708-349-4000 with any questions or to make an appointment.
Professional Associations and Societies:
- Diplomate, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Diplomate, National Dental Board of Anesthesiology
- Fellow, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Fellow, American Dental Society of Anesthesiology
- American College of Maxillofacial Implantology
- Chicago Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Illinois Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- International Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association
Scientific Publications (abstracts, book chapters and papers) and Research:
- (Book chapter) Vyas HJ, Sohn AM, Costello BJ. Liposuction and fat transfer techniques. In: Fonseca R, editor. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. III. 3rd ed. St Louis, MO: Elsevier; 2017.p. 429-438.
- Vyas HJ et al, editors. AAOMS/ ROAAOMS OMS Reference Guide. 4th ed. 2016.
- (Book chapter) Scrivani S, Dhadwal S, Vyas HJ, Spierings E. Facial pain. In: Bonakdar R, Sukiennik A, editors. Integrative pain management. 1st ed. New York, NY: Oxford University Press; 2016. p. 622-638.
- Viswanath A, Vyas HJ, Klein G, Cyr G, Papageorge M. Assessment of preemptive analgesic effect of Caldolor® vs Ofirmev® on third molar surgery: a prospective, randomized, double-blinded pilot study. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 2015;44: e161.
- Vyas HJ, Oreadi D, Balint A, Viswanath A, Papageorge M, Rosenberg M. Surgery Safety Checklist for Ambulatory Oral Surgical Procedures. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 2015;73(9): e35-e36.
- Vyas HJ, Alaqel S, Oreadi D. Clinician’s corner: A clinico-pathologic correlation: mandibular gingival squamous cell carcinoma. J Mass Dent Soc. 2015 Winter;63(4):34-7.
- Chaudhary S, Vyas HJ, Oreadi D. Clinician’s corner: A clinico-pathologic correlation: florid osseous dysplasia. J Mass Dent Soc. 2013 Winter; 61(4):32-4.
- Shetty V*, Vyas HJ*, Sharma S, Sailer H. A comparison of results using nasoalveolar moulding in cleft infants treated within 1 month of life versus those treated after this period: development of a new protocol. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 2012;41(1):28-36. * Equal first co-authors.
- Vyas HJ, Sharma S, Shetty V. Letter to the editor. The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal. 2012;49(6):766-766.
- Open reduction of mandibular condylar fractures – a reappraisal. Library Dissertation. (2010 – 2011)
- Management of the surgical orthodontic patient. American College of Maxillofacial Implantology. Orland Park, IL (March 2020)
- Surgery safety checklist for ambulatory oral surgical procedures. 97th annual meeting of AAOMS. Washington, DC. (Oct 2015)
- Complex orthognathic surgery. Tufts/BU/MGH Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery combined residents’ grand rounds. Boston, MA. (Jan 2015)
- Nasoalveolar molding – molded to perfection. 14th mid-term post graduate conference, Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons of India. Mumbai, India. (June 2010)
- Exploring new frontiers in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 14th mid-term post graduate conference, AOMSI. Mumbai, India. (June 2010)
- Why our cases got ‘cancelled’? 33rd annual conference, AOMSI. Lucknow, India. (Nov 2008)
- Ameloblastoma – still controversial: a case report. 44th Maharashtra state dental conference. Dhule, India. (Nov 2005)
- Evaluation of inferior alveolar nerve block techniques – a prospective study. 43rd Maharashtra state dental conference. Akola, India. (Nov 2004)